Travelling to Finland?
If you are travelling to Finland for business or leisure you will require a visa to enter. Please note that the granting of any Finnish Visa is dependent upon consular discretion.
Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid for a minimum of 3 months beyond the period of intended stay.
The processing time for a visa application is a minimum of 15 days, so it is advisable that applications are submitted well in advance. You can submit your visa application 90 days before planned traveling.
Applications submitted by mail, fax or e-mail cannot be accepted. Visas cannot be applied at the Honorary Consulate of Finland in Mombasa or Kampala. After the processing, passports can be sent back to the applicant via courier service as long as the applicant makes necessary arrangements with the company.
Required documents for a visa application
The visa applicant is required to bring all documents with him/her to the appointment at the embassy. Invitations or other documents should not be sent via email prior to the appointment. Please note that the embassy does not return original documents, so make sure to carry necessary copies with you.
- Visa application form– Duly completed and signed by the applicant.
- Visa questionnare (PDF 7 kt)
- Passport (including previous passports, if any) or travel document. Valid for at least three months after expiry of visa.
- A copy of the personal information page of the passport.
- One colour photograph (47 x 36 mm) against a white background, max. 6 months old. Further instructions available at Police.
- Travel Insurance Obtainable at travel agencies or insurance companies. To cover any expenses which might arise in connection with urgent medical attention, emergency hospital treatment, and repatriation for medical reasons or in case of death. The minimum coverage shall be EURO 30 000 (or equivalent in Ksh). The travel insurance must be valid throughout the Schengen territory and for the entire duration of your stay and must include the name and date of birth of the visa applicant. The original insurance policy is to be presented at the Embassy at the time of submitting the application. The list of Schengen-agreed insurance companies can be found here: http://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/kenya/documents/travel_to_eu/20150929.pdf
- Flight booking. However, kindly note that paying the flight at this stage is not recommended. Tentative flight booking is enough.
- Invitation letter (not older than 3 months) or other proof on the purpose of travel. An invitation can be in a free-form but must state the purpose, itinerary and duration of your trip and contact details of the inviting side. Private invitations must also include the date of birth of the inviting person. Private invitations do not have to be certified by a notary.
- Sufficient funds. The minimum amount of money required is EURO 30 (thirty) per day (this is in addition to accommodation)
- Evidence of accommodation available in Finland, e.g. hotel reservations or assurance from the inviting side to cover the accommodation.
- Visa Application Fee (non-refundable) equivalent to EURO 60 in Kenya Shillings (rate changes every month) should be paid into the embassy account after the appointment at the embassy. The pay slip can be obtained when filing the application
- A spouse of an EU-national is required to present a marriage certificate and the legalisation of it, if necessary. Spouses of EU-nationals are exempt from the visa processing fee. Please note: If the purpose of travel is permanent living in Finland, you should apply for a residence permit, not a visa.
- In case of minors travelling without their parents, consent of both parents and copies of parents'/guardians' passports/id are required. Children under six years old are exempt from the visa processing fee.
- All documents must be submitted at the time of application; the Visa Section will not accept incomplete applications.
The Embassy of Finland may request additional documentation, such as bank statements, birth or marriage certificates, a letter from the applicant's employer etc.
More detailed information on visa applications with a specific purpose of travel is presented at the EU Delegation website.
- Visit for medical treatment
- Tourists visit
- Sport visit
- Business and conference visit
- Visit by children (under 18 years)
- Visit for study and research purpose
Even if all the above mentioned documents are supplied, the Embassy of Finland may still refuse a visa. In case of refusal, the processing fee will not be returned. The embassy also takes no responsibility over expenses on flights or insurances, if visa is not granted. Please note that falsified documents will serve as grounds for a refusal of the visa application.
If the decision is positive, make sure you have all the copies of the supporting documents of your visa application when you travel. They may be requested at the border.
The final decision for entering the country always rests with the border control officials. Upon arrival at the border of first Schengen country, the Border Guard Service has the right to check that all entry requirements have been met, and may refuse entry into the country.
If the decision is negative and you need more information on the reasons, please contact us. Because of the private nature of the information collected during the handling of your visa, the decision will not be discussed with any third party without your agreement (including the person who is inviting you).
All documents need to be submitted in original + 1 set of copies
APPLICATION FEES (NON REFUNDABLE)
- Schengen Visa € 60
- Residence Permit € 200
- Residence Permit – Students € 55
- Transfer of Permit to a new passport € 20
- Legalization of document € 30
- Passport (Finnish passport, Laissez-passer) € 90
- Courier fee to Kampala € 15
- Entrance Exam € 100
Fees payable in Kenya Shillings
Applications sent by fax or post are not accepted!
The applicant has to come to the Embassy in person to apply for the visa.
Flights to Finland
Take advantage of incredible flight offers to China and discover the pulsting mega cities of Beijing and Shanghai, walk the Great wall and cruise the Yangtze river.